Just a small note for those of you wanting to travel in South America and 'possibly' make use of a hot shower... Here are some instructions found at a hostel in Nasca
- Turn tap on (to let freezing cold water out)
- Now turn on electricity switch, must be done after water starts running*
- Hot water should now be coming out of shower head (watch out for those electricity wires)
- Do NOT turn off water when you've finished shower! Instead reach over and turn off electricity switch (with soapy wet hands)
- Now you can turn off the water...
As far as I can tell a lot of the showers have a kettle element in the shower head (with semi-covered wires running to the walls)... I for one feel very safe.
* For those that are curious that electricity switch resembles the classic Frankenstein power switch (think bare metal lever)...